Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Beyotah School

I am writing you guys from a government school in a village called Beyotah, where my friend Ben has been teaching english for the past 2 months. The village is literally in the middle of nowhere. Many of the villagers have never seen a paved road before. Although it is a Thai school, the majority of the students are Karen. I was asked to teach English for 2 class periods, I agreed and discovered that I know have a lot more respect for my fellow teachers back home. The religious background is mainly Buddhism. In fact, a Major from the Thai military arrived yesterday, and today he has been teaching the school about the 8 fundamental virtues of Buddhism. Even though the school's curriculum is mainly eastern religions, EOP missions have donated several building to the campus, which provides us with virtually no resistance in sharing Christianity. -Robd

No comments: